“The soul is the truth of who we are.” – Marianne Williamson
If we believe that our souls are the truth of who we are, it’s not surprising that so many people are having a hard time.
Everything about our lives and society takes us away from our truths and the deepest parts of ourselves – our souls.
In a previous post, I explained how Soul hunger was a silent epidemic in the 21st century. Our souls are hungry and need to be fed in order to flourish and thrive.
Many of us are feeling the inner urge to shed outdated ideas about what it means to be a successful person and what we need in order to be happy.
It is an exciting time of transformation in the consciousness of many. It’s also a challenging time when many people are experiencing the dark night of the soul and the confusion that goes along with a time of transition and growth.
We are transforming into a way of being that aligns with our souls and the realization that we are spiritual beings having a human experience.
We’re beginning to understand that transformation and awakening are not only normal but a necessary process in the evolution of our soul.
In the book, When The Soul Awakens: The Path to Spiritual Evolution and a New World Era, Nancy Seifer and Martin Vieweg explain that, “Awakening occurs- in one incarnation or another- when the individual soul becomes satiated with material living and feels compelled, by a deep inner urge, to discover the truth that lies behind the outer world of appearances” (p. 5).
Without a roadmap, however, many find ourselves feeling lost and confused navigating the inner terrain of the soul.
Some of my clients describe it as feeling like they’re being pulled between who they should be and who they are meant to be.
Others say that they feel like they’ve lost themselves in their roles to the point that they don’t know who they are anymore.
It’s not uncommon to hear people talk about this sense of knowing that things need to change but are confused because they have no idea what specifically isn’t working or how to go about it.
For many, it’s a shift away from focusing the majority of our attention and energy on fulfilling our many roles that meet the needs of other people, and moving towards growth, self-love, spirituality, greater fulfillment and living in alignment with our authentic selves.
This shift that we’re talking about and experiencing is a call from the soul. When we listen to this call, we move in the direction of thriving. When we don’t listen, our health, both physical and emotional, will suffer.
The soul is relentless and will go to extreme lengths to get our attention. As James Hollis, a Jungian analyst said, “If there is such a thing as a soul, then it is the soul that ultimately tips the balance toward change, towards a more authentic stance in the world.”
Here are 10 signs your soul is speaking to you:
- You are beginning to realize that all the material things and ways that you are trying to fill yourself up aren’t satisfying you. You feel like something may be missing in your life.
- You have a deep desire to make a difference and be of service to something greater than yourself.
- You have a feeling that something needs to be expressed through you. It’s an inner urge that stems from deep within you. This may feel like you’re seeking something, but you don’t know what that something is.
- You realize that while your roles are important, you have a desire to not be defined by them. You may be asking, “who am I” and “what is my purpose?”
- You long for meaningful relationships that feel authentic and where you can share your emerging sense of self with like-minded people.
- You have a sense that some things need to change and fall away in order for your authentic self to emerge. It may be relationships, the work that you are doing, limiting beliefs or how you fill your time.
- You are open to and curious about deepening your connection to something greater than yourself. You begin to realize that there are spiritual laws at work even if you don’t know exactly how to tap into them.
- You notice that your values are shifting and new ones want to emerge. You have a sense that this shift will result in a new way of being and a re-arranging of your priorities.
- You may feel a sense of discomfort as you’re being drawn into the unknown without a clear idea about how this process is meant to unfold. Perhaps the idea of the dark night of the soul resonates with you.
- You have a desire to live in alignment with your authentic self even though you don’t have a picture of what that looks like.
Learning to understand the language of the soul and integrating its messages into our lives is challenging for many of us.
Adding to this challenge is the awareness that understanding the awakening soul and what it needs is different than fixing a psychological problem.
There is nothing dysfunctional or abnormal that needs to be diagnosed or treated. Rather there is a process that needs to be nourished and understood in order for the soul to emerge and one’s life to be adjusted so as to live in alignment.
If there are signs your soul is speaking to you it’s important for you to know that awakening is normal and is the beginning of a beautiful, albeit uncertain journey.
One thing is certain and that is your soul is your connection to your authentic self.
Listening and making the necessary changes in your life, in spite of the fear that will inevitably surface, will lead you down a path towards a life of greater alignment and fulfillment.
Leave a comment below if you’re getting signs your soul is speaking to you.