“The soul is the truth of who we are.” – Marianne Williamson
If we believe that our souls are the truth of who we are, it’s not surprising that so many women are having a hard time. Everything about our lives and society takes us away from our truths and the deepest parts of ourselves – our souls.
In my last post, I explained how soul hunger is a silent epidemic in the 21st century. Our souls are hungry and need to be fed in order to flourish and thrive.
A growing number of women are waking up and deciding to live in alignment with our souls.
Many of us are feeling an inner urge to shed outdated ideas about what it means to be a successful woman and what we need in order to thrive. It is an exciting time of transformation in the consciousness of many.
We are transforming into a way of being that aligns with our souls and the realization that we are spiritual beings having a human experience. We are being called to reorganize our lives based on what our soul needs and not merely what our small sense of self and our roles’ need.
We’re beginning to understand that transformation is not only normal, but it is also necessary for the evolution of our soul. Without a roadmap, however, we find ourselves feeling lost and confused navigating the inner terrain of the soul.
Some of my clients describe it as feeling like they’re living two lives: One life based on what they feel they should do and one life pulling them to listen to their inner wisdom and that little voice inside of them.
Others say that they feel like they’ve lost themselves in their roles to the point that they don’t know who they are anymore.
It’s not uncommon to hear women talk about this sense of knowing that things need to change but are confused because they have no idea what specifically isn’t working.
I recently watched The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning featuring best-selling author and renowned spiritual teacher, Wayne Dyer. This inspiring movie highlights how and why many people are being called to shift from ego-driven ambition to a life of meaning.
For women, it’s a shift away from focusing the majority of our attention and energy on fulfilling our many roles that meet the needs of other people, and moving towards growth, self-love, spirituality, greater fulfillment and living in alignment with our highest selves.
This shift that we’re talking about and experiencing is a call from the soul. When we listen to this call, we move in the direction of thriving. When we don’t listen, our health, both physical and emotional, will suffer. The soul is relentless and will go to extreme lengths to get our attention.
Here are 10 signs that your soul is speaking to you:
- You are beginning to realize that all the material things and ways that you are trying to fill yourself up aren’t satisfying you. You realize that greater joy and fulfillment will not be gained by more wealth, exotic trips, having a nicer car or a bigger house. While you appreciate and enjoy these comforts, they do not define you.
- You have a deep desire to make a difference and be of service in order to minimize the suffering in the world.
- You have a feeling that something needs to be expressed through you. It’s an inner urge that stems from deep within you. This may feel like you’re seeking something, but you don’t know what that something is.
- You realize that while your roles are important, you have a desire to not be defined by them. You may be asking, “who am I” and “what is my purpose?”
- You long for meaningful relationships that feel authentic and where you can share your emerging sense of self with like-minded women.
- You have a sense that some things need to change and fall away in order for your highest self to emerge. It may be relationships, work that you are doing, limiting beliefs or how you fill your time.
- You are open to and curious about deepening your connection with something greater than yourself. You begin to realize that there are spiritual laws at work even if you don’t know exactly how to tap into them.
- You notice that your values are shifting and new ones want to emerge. You have a sense that this shift will result in a new way of being and a re-arranging of your priorities.
- You may feel a sense of discomfort as you’re being drawn into the unknown without a clear idea about how this process is meant to unfold.
- You have a desire to live in alignment with your authentic and highest self even though you don’t have a picture of what that looks like.
Learning to understand the language of the soul and integrating its messages into our lives is challenging for many of us. Adding to this challenge is the awareness that understanding the awakening soul and what it needs is different than fixing a psychological problem. There is nothing dysfunctional or abnormal that needs to be diagnosed or treated, rather there is a process that needs to be nourished and understood in order for the soul to emerge and one’s life to be adjusted so as to live in alignment.
If your soul is speaking to you it’s important for you to know that awakening is normal and is the beginning of a beautiful, albeit uncertain journey. You are not meant to travel it alone. One thing is certain, however, and that is your soul is your connection to your highest self. Listening and making the necessary changes in your life, in spite of the fear that will inevitably surface, will lead you down a path towards a life of greater alignment and fulfillment.
Does this resonate with you? What has been your experience with the whisperings of your soul?